Old 05-08-2003, 01:02 AM
groober

Default Bradford pears. Planted last fall. Brown leaves. Any suggestions?

"Gourd" wrote in message
ink.net...
: Greetings.
:
: Basically, I have 3 Bradford Pears what were planted when my house was
: built, back in September last year. They are about 8 foot tall, small
: diameter trees.
:
: The leaves are turning brown and curling...
:
: I was told by the contractor that as long as the grass is green, then the
: trees should be recieving enough water. In the spring, I also put tree
: fertilizer plugs into the ground...
:
: Should I water more around the base of the trees? Is it some sort of
: disease or insect infestation? Are they too far gone at this point?
:
: While I have your attention, may I also ask: if these trees die, what
would
: be a good, hardy, low water tree for this area, and how much should a
young
: tree like the ones above cost?
:
: Thanks for your time.
:
:

Grass can be green if the top few inches of dirt have water. Trees need
deeper soaking, especially ones that haven't been in the ground that long.
Get a soaker hose and spiral it around the tree starting a foot or so from
the trunk and ending just outside the dripline. Turn the pressure on low -
just sweating, no spray - and leave it on overnight. Repeat every couple of
weeks, every week when it's this hot and dry.

They'll probably be fine, but try a Pistache (sp?) next time.