Old 05-08-2003, 01:22 AM
John Savage

Default OT - gelatine

"John Doh" writes:
I had to do some work at Burt Brothers tannery at Mascot a few years back
and the way gelatine is made would turn you off for ever.The offcuts from
the hide get chucked into a 44 gallon drum and sits outside in the weather
putrifying before it is processed.When I worked there the smell was so
horrendous that I had to go and sit in my car with the windows closed to
have lunch or smoko, and this was in summer as well, never again.

I'm sure ice-cream is never going to taste quite so good, from now on. :-)

It's not clear from what you say whether the 'putrifying' is an essential
part of the process, or just sloppy procedure at that particular plant?
Can you confirm either way?
--
John Savage, off to search for ice-cream made from agar, or something ....