Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Gordon Couger

Default GMO biz vs consumers

"Evil *******" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:40:01 +0000, Gordon Couger wrote:

In the greenest
part of the country a vote on [a law requiring GM labelling] lost
3 to 1.

Not quite 3 to 1 over 70% voted down a laws that would require GM lables.

Who voted - the legislature, or the people?

The people.

After reading "The Loved One" by James Joyce as a teen, I thought nothing
could shock me about Americans.

I'm at a complete loss to understand why supposedly sane people would vote
*against* knowing what their food is made of.

It's made of soybeans and corn they don't want to pay the cost it would take
to segregate GM crops. If they are concerned about that they can buy
organic.

But then again, 'food' as we know it is not available in the USA.
For instance, you can't buy cheese there. 80% of people buy this orange
plastic stuff, that makes Kraft Processed Cheddar Slices seem like the
finest Kiwi or Aussie matured cheeses by comparison. This is typical of
the foods over there (lived in Boston and SF for some months, visited NY
and LA).

I will agree with you about the cheese in the supermarket. But you can get
good cheese you have to order it or go to a specitly store if you are in a
city. We do pay a price for having the cheapest food on the planet. Aged
cheese and beef are expensive and not avilble in every grocery store.

The US government has established scientific agencies starting in 1873 by
establishing the USGS followed by the USDA in 1894. We have a good deal more
respect for them than we do a bunch of sensational tabloid new stories.

The faked studies of Lynx, DDT and egg thinning in birds and the forest
fires from the lack of proper forest management are detracting from the
environmentalist credibility with the large majority of people in the US.
The antics of PETA, earth liberation front and others using terror tactics
are detrimental to their cause. Our press reports both sides.

When the FDA and USDA say that there are no differences worth labeling most
of the people trust them as they trust them for assuring the safety of their
milk, meat and drugs. Our government does not work like a lot of
parliamentary governments that form a gang and railroad things though until
they can no longer agree and break up and make a new gang. Every issue
stands on its own.

Since we have reguatutory agencies with a long history and proven expertise
we trust them more than people in Europe seem to trust theirs.

Farmers don't have the political clout that they have in some European
counties either.

Gordon