Old 05-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Alice Gless

Default Is this an unusual Lily?

Thank you so much for the quick response and identifying the lily.

The picture on that site is more purple or lavendar. They probably vary, but
I want one just like this one which does not appear lavendar or purple. It is
more pink/pinkish lavendar with the true blue.

Can I buy one just like that?

I'll look on google and see what more there is on it.

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Not a true lily at all nor is it wild.

Its Lycoris squamigera from Japan. Its a member of the Amaryllis family.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/lyco_squ.cfm

You can easily buy the bulbs in the autumn at any place that sells plants.

A google search will turn up much info about the plant, now that you know
its name.

Alice Gless wrote in message
Hi,

I'm not a regular on this group, but I found this beautiful wild lily
yesterday and wondered if it was unusual. It is pink with an apricot
throat and the petals are brushed with true blue.

Pic:

http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/Wild_Lily.jpg

I would like to try and find out if the property owners will allow me to
dig the bulbs in the fall or what I should do. If I can buy a lily like
this, I would just let it be.

I have tried to phone some lily growers, but their horticulturist is out
until the end of the week.

Thanks to generous people on these groups who are willing to help.