Old 05-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Shannon

Default weed and grass fairies,weather goddesses and other assorted observations

Shannon, de-lurking.

Actually, I've had really good experience with giving a digging spot to a
diggety dawg. It just requires CONSTANT VIGILANCE (J.K.Rowling) and lots of
training. You also can't give a really awful spot to the dog, because the
dog won't like it any more than you do. HOwever, once you compromise on a
spot, and reward the dog for digging there (bury some bones and stuff), and
whenver you catch her digging elsewhere, lead her to her spot and praise,
you may have a happy dawg and be a happy gardener.

Until then, bury her own feces around your plants. Dogs don't like to dig
in their own poop.

-Shannon

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "madgardener" contains these words:

Hi Mad, thanks for that.

So for now, I must be
ever vigilent and watch her every move and stop her from digging and

either
give her her own place to dig to her hearts desire or just stop her
altogether. I fear as smart as she is I will have to designate her a

spot
as her own to dig. The first clue of this impending disaster was when I
first had her and as I was planting a new pot of perennials and plants,

she
jumped up and started digging with me in the pot of dirt. I should have
never thought it was cute...................little did I know....

I wouldn't recommend giving Sugar her own place for digging in soil,
because she won't remember how far her patch extends. Our dog has an old
baby bath out in the garden; she likes digging water :-)

Janet.