Old 05-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Mark Darbyshire

Default Novice with a sod question

My family and I are soon to move into a new house with a new sod yard.
I'm all excited about my small little patch of yard. I live in
Central Kentucky (Zone 7?) which is a very heavy clay soil. I plan on
getting a soil sample taken and tested so I can better treat my yard
with the right fertilizer. One tip I read to improve clay soil was to
rototill organic material (compost) into the soil to improve water
absorption and reduce runoff. Runoff is a big concern, as I have some
mildly steep slopes on the yard. I will also have a wet-weather
stream running through the back of the lot since I'm at the bottom of
the hill on my cul-de-sac. My problem is that I won't be able to get
to the lawn to improve until after the builder has planted the sod.
How else can I improve the soil without digging up the yard?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Darbyshire