Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Labels

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 16:54:25 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I want my labels readable and incase something happens to my greenhouse and
the plants get blown out with pots separating from plants and tags, I use a
metal tag and a vibrating engraver to put the name on it. After I complete
them I attach them to the plant with a wire. They don't fade or get
misplaced.
"Dave Lockwood" wrote in message

I have seen people use just a dry ballpoint pen and a padded
surface to write on strips of aluminum. Recyclers can cut these
from soda cans, the rest of us use garden tags or hobby aluminum
strips to make the tags.

One simple trick to help prevent lost labels is the bury a label
when you pot the plant. Then when some idiot pulls one out and
forgets to put it back or it cracks off from old age, you have
the safety of knowing there is another in the pot.

Wiring tags to the plants like they do roses has always gotten
me in trouble. On the roses I cut my hands up trying to get
them. Sometimes they cut into the new growth. Sometimes they
get cut off with a back bulb.

Good luck.

SuE