Old 05-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Bob Peticolas

Default How many to plant, how long to establish?

Hi Chris. There are many bamboo sites on the web, but I think your best
sources of information are local, like the information on the yellow groove
bamboo (although you might just knock on their door and confirm the
species). The bamboo web sites describe the "maximum height" of each
species under ideal conditions, but YOUR local maximum height may be very
different.

Maybe someone here can point you to a specialty bamboo nursery in the area.
Often, the largest general nurseries will carry a few varieties of bamboo,
and they may be able to give you addresses to view mature groves.

Yellow groove and most other Phylostchys like full sun. You might want to
purchase large plants that are already higher than the fence. Bamboo is
fast, but it is not instant. It also depends on how happy the plants are.
In your situation, I would probably plant two or three species, and see
which does best. I would then add more of the one that likes the site the
best.

Aside from flats of annuals and people so wealthy they can buy 50' trees,
gardening requires at least some patience. A fast growing happy runner
could look pretty good in 3 years and would certainly look great in 6-8
years. The more plants you start with, the quicker you will have a grove.

Good Luck. Take the last two ss from the email address for personal
response.
-------
Bob

You might call around and see if any larger
Chris Herring wrote in message
Apologies in advance for boring you.. I posted a similar request way back

in
October 2002.. I am still trying to decide if bamboo or what bamboo is the
right choice..

I want to plant a screen between my home and my neighbor's. I have very
limited horizontal space (between fence and pool) so bamboo seems like a
logical choice. I am in Maryland (Zone 7a). The planting site is a 30-40
foot strip along the south edge of my property, behind a 6 foot solid wood
fence. In the shade of the fence it is, well, shady. If and when the

bamboo
makes it past the top of the fence, there partial sun (site is partly

under
the canopy of large oak trees). My neighbor to the north has a stand of

what
I suspect to be yellowgroove bamboo, and it seems to do pretty well under
similar conditions (it is at the south side of his house, behind a similar
6' fence, under similar tree canopy.) I have discussed it with my

neighbors
to the south, and they like the idea of planting bamboo. I would not need

install a rhizome barrier.

(a) Does anyone have specific recommendations? I would like to end up with
something 15-20 feet tall.

(b) I have heard that patience is a necessary attribute with bamboo.
However, this is the age of "instant gratification", to which I have
acquiesced, and I want privacy now! How long after planting will I have an
adequate screen?

(c) I have heard that it is possible to start with more than one plant,

for
better initial coverage. But eventually one plant will become dominant and
crowd out the others. In the long run, it will take longer for the one

plant
to establish, because of the competition. Is this true?

Regards,

Chris Herring