Old 05-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Richard.Perry Richard.Perry is offline
Registered User

Location: London

It won't help this year but..

1. Give up on veggies in the garden - its too difficult to arrange garden sitters. (Unless you give up having holidays instead). Plant things in the garden which don't mind going without water for a couple of weeks

2. Get yourself an allotment .

You'll find other plot holders who will do whatever watering is necessary. You may also be able to get them to do picking but usually they will have the same gluts as you so they may not be as willing to pick as to water. Also you'll find it a lot easier to make successional sowings of things like runner beans - which means even if you miss part of the crop you'll find other stuff coming on stream when you come back. On our plots payment for these services normally consists of sharing a couple of beers over teh barbecue.

3. Keep a diary of when you pick crops. You'll then be able to work out which weeks are best. Our holiday this year was timed to be just after the blackcurrants and before the tomatoes!