Old 05-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Borage

"anne" wrote in message

Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell?

You have rather stupidly erased all the headers, so every vestige of context
has gone through the window.

You have also top posted. That practice is guaranteed to turn any
conversation into a badly built compost heap in time.

Nobody. Nobody. Nobody is asking anybody to bottom post. You are simply
being asked to reply in-line, putting each of your remarks immediately below
the specific comment to which it refers, leaving a blank line between your
remark and the prior one. That is the style which *all* the existing
expositions of netiquette ask usenet users to use, if the integrity of the
logical flow of the thread is to be maintained.

Think about it... firstly it
really *does not matter*, but secondly if someone happens to catch a

thread
mid discussion, a lot of it will have been [snipped] anyway, therefore

they
will probably download the whole thread if it is of particular interest to
them (I have done it myself). I personally prefer top postings - it saves

me
scrolling through old and read text just to read "I agreee" or "I

disagree".

On the other hand, seeing just "I agree" or "I disagree" at the top of a
complicated thread might convey some information to you. It certainly does
not do so to anybody else.

If this was alt.newsgroup.etiquette I may be more tolerant, but, because

it
isn't, I think you are very very petty. If it's top posted or bottom

posted
I do not care - the content is what I am interested in.

True. And the logic of the content is indescribably messed up once a long
thread (and that usually means an interesting thread) has been top posted
more than once.

For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!

Yes. And as in the case of all other newsgroups, there is a recommended set
of rules of good behaviour. You are, of course, welcome to disobey the
rules, as long as you recognise that that defines you as being uncivilised.
[Franz Heymann]
The bloody foreigner who is even worse than a middle class Brit