Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Using bones for fertilizer?

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:06:27 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

Some of you may be interested in this article by Dr. Temple Grandin, an
autistic woman who has made a career of designing more humane
slaughterhouses. It's long, but fascinating.
http://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html

We're really getting way afield .... but there's a basic
disconnect to her, to my way of thinking. It's creepy,
weird ... IMHO.

Her guiding principle seems to be: "I care about animals,
therefore I'll spend my career finding better, gentler ways
to kill them." An analogy would be a concentration camp
commandant thinking of kinder, gentler ways to kill people -
maybe gas ovens.

It seems to me that people who truly care about animals
don't spend their careers finding ways to kill them - not
even gentler ways.

I think Jan's attitude about doing their own killing is
responsible and humane. The cows will have a decent life
and a decent death. Everything's got to die sometime, but I
object to the USA's more usual way of raising and killing
livestock.

Pat