Old 05-08-2003, 04:05 PM
VivienB

Default Bindweed problem

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:49:21 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

As mentioned earlier, glyphosate (as Roundup, Tumbleweed, etc.) will do the
job. In congested areas, it is worth training a length of it around a cane
to isolate it, then spray it on a wind-free day to avoid drift of the
chemical on wanted plants.
Glyphosate degrades on contact with the soil, so is non-persistent.
Spider

Nobody has mentioned a method I read about here and have used
successfully in planted areas where it is not practical to dig out
bindweed roots.

Grow it up a cane as suggested by Spider, or unwind it from plants
where it has grown up tall things and suddenly appeared 3 feet up (!)
You need a fair leaf area for the plant to take up enough glyphosate.

Stuff it loosely into a plastic bag, squirt one brief spray into the
bag (more is not better) and tie the bag at the neck. I also gently
rub the bag between my hands to distribute the glyphosate.

Tuck the bag out of sight under plants as they are somewhat unsightly,
wait a week or so, and you will find the top growth of the bindweed
can be pulled away bag and all.

Enough glyphosate is carried to the roots to kill all but the very big
toughies - wait for enough leaf to show when it regrows before
treating it again. This reduces the risk to surrounding plants and
allows you to dispose of the bag and sprayed top growth away from your
garden if you wish.

Regards, VivienB