Old 05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Jerome

Default Advice on Red Twig Dogwoods

Hello,

We purchased 5 variegated red twig dogwoods (approx. 2 to 3 ft tall)
about a month ago and planted them. In the last few weeks we have
noticed
black spots on most of the leaves for all 5 plants. We purchased a
fungicide at the advice of the nursery where we purchased them and
applied
it. It seems to have helped a bit however we have lost plenty of
leaves
and there are still blackspotsspots galore. On one of the 5 plants
2 of the leaves have a purplish color? We live in upstate NY (near
Syracuse)
and the temps have been mid 70's to 80's since we planted them. We
have
been watering them and thought perhaps too much, however the nursery
owner
said "you can never over-water dogwoods" so we ruled out overwatering.

Any advice on what causes these blackspots and caring for them would
be appreciated. Are these plants in danger or can they be saved/cured?

Thanks!