Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Rick

Default Trying to keep mulch beds clean

Hi,

I'm a novice who prefers doing almost anything besides pulling weeds and
grass out of my mulch beds. The weeds aren't so bad since they are sporatic
and I can easily pull them. At this point I'm more worried about the grass
that keeps encroaching into the mulch beds.

I've been in this house for about a year. I added about 3 inches of hardwood
mulch in the spring and plan to do this every year. It looked OK until about
a month ago. In various places the grass is now getting into it. I don't
have any sort of border between the mulch and grass. Should I be adding more
mulch over the course of the year? If I bury the grass with more mulch will
that kill it? As you know grass is very hard to pull since the roots are so
thick.

Walking thourgh my neighborhood I see some houses that look better than mine
and some worse. Some of the mulch beds have a channel cut on the border,
about 3 inches wide and 3 inches deep. This seems to stay clean. Any idea on
how they do that? What are some other ways? Chemicals? Any advice is greatly
appreciated by myself and my aching back.

Rick