Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
cross

Default Cordyline puzzle

A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant

(itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I

have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't

know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

It is normal behaviour for a cordaline to branch out once it has flowered,
and I think that it would spoil the effect if you were to cut these off,
but it may be possible to take cuttings......

My cordaline died, (I thought) after a severe winter, so I cut off the top
in the spring. Shortly after, it resprouted 5 new shoots from the base,,
just as I was about to dig out the root.

So if you want more plants, cut it down ;-))

Marina