Old 05-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Alison

Default Brassia question

I'm a novice with only a few orchids, & have a question about my
Brassia "New Start Galaxy". It's growing well & flowering like mad;
finished a batch in the spring & has just started a new spike, but the
bases of some of the bulbs are a dark brown. The colour looks like
they should be dead & soggy, but they aren't -- they're quite firm. I
thought maybe it was water collecting in the leaf axils (I do try to
water early in the day) but the brown colour on some extends across
the bulb where there isn't a leaf. I repotted it last fall & am STILL
trying to work out how often to water in the new pot because it's
quite big & hard to tell when it's dry in the middle. It lives on a
south windowsill. I know when the bulbs start to shrink a little I've
let it go too long, but nothing really seems to influence this brown
discolouration. Is this normal? It SEEMS happy....
Thanks.

Alison