Old 06-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Mark & Shauna

Default Potato yeild

What are those in the group getting for a yeild on potatoes? In pounds
of harvest compared to pounds planted. I have heard that if you are
really kicking some butt you can get 10 pounds per pound planted, I am
guessing this is the best of the best conditions? We havent weighed our
yeild yet but we last night just for fun we dug about 1/6th of the 50
lbs we planeted and have gotten two 5 gallon pails worth. Perhaps 30-40
pounds?
I didnt get them hilled as well as I should have this year so thats
hurting us but I was surprised to have even the biggest plants only
yeilding perhaps 5 medium sized potato's each. If there are 6 they are
small and if there are only three they are large baking size. Oddly I
left two rows unhilled and they are yeilding only slightly less than the
rows I hilled a couple times.
We planted Kenebec's and next year, even though we are no till as much
as possible, I am going to furrow and hill with the farm tractor rather
than by hand. Over 50 lbs (which we will do next year) is just too much
for us by hand. Even if I have to run the subsoiler every other year it
will be the only way for us to grow a lot of potatoes.

Mark