Old 06-08-2003, 04:32 AM
MattR

Default pond filter

K30a wrote:
MattR I don't know
what biological filters do

They turn fish waste into fertilizer for the plants *and* for the algae.

My point is they do more than that and everything on the net I read just
talks about removing ammonia. I had lots of green soup until I put in a
filter that supposedly only removes ammonia. I didn't have enough
ammonia because I had such small fish. But that filter is creating
something that kills, or inhibits, pea soup algae.

Our problem, we ornamental garden ponders, is that we usually get carried away.
More plants, more fish, more feeding the darling fish, more fertilizing for
more blooms. More, more, more!!

It's more complicated than that. I put in lots of plants and only had a
few fish, just like everyone says, and the water was green and the
plants yellow. My fish are much bigger and the green water is gone.
(We'll see about the plants.) The difference is the filter I added.

Matt