Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Bill R

Default tomatoes splitting

Steve & Erin wrote:
We have some lovely grape and pear tomatoes on our deck that seemed perfect
until tonight I went out to pick them and they all have splits on them. Did
I leave them on the vine too long? Any other culture advice?

Thanks
Erin

Erin,

I grow both the grape and pear tomatoes and have noticed
quite a bit of splitting (and cracks) this summer. Around
here the weather has been very "uneven" (hot, then extremely
rainy for a few days, then hot again). That is what usually
causes the splitting problems. You can pick them early but
I think the flavor is better if you leave them on the vine
until they are ripe enough to eat (especially with the red
and yellow pear tomatoes).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850