Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Holly problem

JennyC wrote:
Hi

I promised to post some pictures of my browning holly bush.........:

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...x.OddsSods.htm

its' been in the same spot for years without any problems. Now it's
going brown.

I need to do something about it, and it will obviously need cutting
back as the leaves to not look as if they can be saved.

My question is really what is wrong with it and when should I prune it
hard back?

That is NOT holly leaf miner. The defining characteristic of that is the
mining of tracks between the top and bottom surfaces of the leaf by the
grub, leaving a disfiguring but greeny yellow raised area visible on the top
surface not the best image but....
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile..._leafminer.asp

Neither does it look like Holly leaf blight which leaves dead blackened
twigs, tends to work from the ground up and (in the cases i have observed)
the leaves have a more strongly defined "line of death". But I'm less
certain about ruling it out completely

pk