Old 06-08-2003, 10:32 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Why won't my Peppers ripen?

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:04:25 +0100, David W.E. Roberts wrote:
The largest pepper doesn't seem to be growing much, but all peppers (and

the
chillis in the next pot) are staying resolutely green.
The plant now seems to be shedding little fertilised flowers (mini

peppers
half the size of a pea) so I presume it has decided it is carrying

enough.
So, what strategy?
Do I pick the largest now and try and ripen them with a bannana, thus
encouraging the plant to produce more peppers?
Or should I leave them to ripen before picking?

Dave,

Check the details of the peppers and chillis you are growing. I'm growing
a green peper - i.e. green is the ripe colour. Have a feel of the largest
peppers - mine so far has been about 4" long and 3" diameter - if it feels
and smells about right - pick it and eat it. Use the first pepper to judge
the subsequent.

Now, as for my chillies - I wish the damn things would flower properly
(I've had about 1.5 per plant... ) and set fruit without the
flower/buds dropping of I'm very dissapointed with these chillies -
they'd better pick up and do somethinbg before it gets too cold!

Sarah

Ah..oooops!
I thought (especially after seeing them in the supermarket) that green
peppers were basically unripe red/yellow/orange peppers.

However, just been and checked the label (bought from garden centre).

Sweet pepper bell boy.
Suitable for patio planters.
Can be eaten green or red.

Assuming the label is correct the peppers should turn red.
So I guess the original question stands.

Cheers
Dave R