Old 06-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Spring Lawn fertilizer

Funny, I live in a like area with cool season grass and the advice has
always been as I gave it. While VA may allow for a little more nitrogen in
the fall than in my area, the idea is to avoid a lot of new soft growth
going into winter when it may be damaged by the cold.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"You're the One" wrote in message

Joseph Meehan wrote:
.....Fertilizing is usually best in the early to mid spring and mid to

late fall. More nitrogen
in the spring less in the fall......

This guy is in Northern Virginia, so it is likely he has a cool season
lawn (fescue, ryegrass or possibly bluegrass), therefore nitrogen is
much more important in the fall, not spring. The recommendation for
established lawns is 2 lb. actual nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. in the
fall, 1 lb or less in spring.