Old 06-08-2003, 12:12 PM
LeighMo

Default Dark brown ALGEA on my swords!

Should a tank like mine be pearling everday w/ proper fert and co2?

Not necessarily.

Will the change either good or bad be noticed within a few days. So I
will know if I am overdosing or underdosing?

With fast-growing plants, yes, you'll notice they get darker green in a few
days. Algae will probably disappear gradually. You may not even notice that
it's fading. One day, you'll just suddenly realize there's no algae.

I have some rotala and sunset hygro that Ive had for a month and has already
needed triming.The swords and sags are the problem.40 plants worth is quite
ugly.

The swords are probably just losing their emersed growth leaves. As long as
they are growing new leaves, feel free to cut off the ugly old ones. (If they
aren't growing new leaves, try giving them some root tabs.) Sags often look
bad for a few weeks after you plant them. They take a long time to adjust.
Mine always get black spots on their leaves when I transplant them and look
awful. But in a few weeks, they recover.

I do recommend getting some algae-eating fish. Your tank is large enough that
you have the room, and it's difficult to get a high-tech tank so perfectly
balanced that there's never any algae. SAEs do well with thread-like algae,
but you should get something with a sucker mouth, as well. The sucker-mouthed
critters are the ones that clean large, flat leaves like Amazon swords.
Otocinclus catfish, for example. Or snails. (Just don't get the kind that eat
plants!) Bristlenose pleco. (Don't get an ordinary pleco -- they get too
large.)

Leigh