Old 06-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Problems Growing Cilantro

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:18:01 -0400, "Davlo"
wrote:

Hi,
I'm new to the newsgroup and I'm hoping to find some advice about my
cilantro. I have a good looking plant going in my garden in afternoon sun,
but the leaves are wispy and thin, not full and hearty like cilantro I buy
at the supermarket. Am I supposed to pinch off the little flowers that form
(which is what I've been doing)? How can I get those full leaves growing?
Thanks for any help,

Too late. Your plants have 'bolted' - changed their form
and produced flowers with the ultimate goal of producing
seeds. It's a one-way street, they can't go back.

Cilantro does this VERY quickly.

You can buy 'slow-bolt' cilantro seeds from Pinetree Gardens
(and probably other places) or you can just cut your
cilantro as soon as it looks like cilantro....

It may not bolt as quickly in cooler (spring/fall)
temperatures, although I'm not sure of this.

Pat