Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default Spring Lawn fertilizer

Scott's is full of shit. I fertilize my lawn one time a year in April or early
May. I use slow release organic fertilizer. Fertilizer in itself is not going
to suppress weeds. However, if you use weed and feed products you are putting
atrazine in the soil and atrazine can kill old growth trees, or other plants. If
you read the label you will not use it again.

Of course they want you on a four bag a year cycle. They make money that way.
It's so much better to spend that extra money once a year to have the turf core
aerated, use organic fertilizer once in spring, again in June (spring starts in
Texas end of Feb. early March and we fertilize in April) I use one
fertilization in spring, then if I remember I do another in the fall to sustain
the continuous growth of turf in Texas. Roots grow in winter. Feed the soil,
not the turf and you won't have those indicator weeds.

On 5 Aug 2003 10:09:53 -0700, (Sunday4) wrote:

Hi,

I purchased a bag of Scott's lawn fertlizer (and weedkill) this
spring. Due to the heavy rains this season in Northern Virginia
combined with my laziness, I never got around to applying it. Is it
too late to use it now?

Scott's recommends a cycle approach where they want you to buy
different fertilizers for different seasons. Wondering if using the
"Spring" version now (early August) will adversely affect the lawn.

There's quite a bit of weed growth and the wife keeps blaming it on my
not applying fertilizer.

Thanks