Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Will bamboo penetrate pond linders?

"jskirwin" wrote in message
s.com...
Found your site via google.
Just a word from someone in the USA about the subject.

I am in the process of adding a pond with EPDM liner in an area with
bamboo - for the full on Japanese effect. I dug the hole over a year
ago (lost job long story) then finally bought the liner two weeks ago.
Lined the hole with sand and heavy landscape fabric. Placed the liner,
filled it then let it set for a week to settle. Saturday morning all
was well. Tuesday evening found a 4 inch long bamboo spike through the
liner.

For a year I had not seen any bamboo roots. 3 days later I find the
spike. Remember that it had gone through an inch of sand and 2 layers
of landscape fabric.

I have seen experts install 10 guage ridge plastic bolted together with
double sets of steel bolts, buried 4 feet deep...and they still caveat that
it may not keep the bamboo contained. 45mil EPDM doesn't stand a chance.

BV.