Old 06-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Sue Walsh

Default almost black water

ESPMER (K30a) wrote in message ...
Excessive algae means too many nutrients in the water. Nutrients for algae are
sun, new water, fish poo, fish food, decaying plants, fertilizers and dirt.

What is different about the Botanical Garden pond and your pond. I'm wondering
if it is bigger, less fish, no feeding fish?

Sun would be the main factor here
Mine is in full Florida sun. Since I wanted a waterlily pond, sun is
essential.
Botanical garden pond is part shade.

Plants
Mine is 2/3 cover by 10 water lilies, with 60 anacharis, 3 small iris,
2 small reeds.
Botanical less than 1/4 coverage, with a mix of plants maybe 20 all
together.

Fish load is low on both with no feeding in either
mine 9 goldfish from 2"-8"
Botanical is 6 goldfish from 5"-6"

Size
Mine is 1650 gallons, surface area about 120 sq ft, with a waterfall
and stream that has 3 drops. There are 2 drops from the headpool to
the stream each about 8" and then it goes along a 22' stream lined
with pebbles to the final 10" drop into the pond.
Botanical is a smaller pond (guess-1000-1100 gallons), with a double
cascade of water down a stone lined 5' hill with the final drop into
the pond of 8" on each cascade.

Dirt
Mine may have some clay from the pots of lilies as I lowered them in,
but no runoff from ground dirt. I can't see the bottom of my pond to
know what's down there.
The Botanical gets a lot of dirt run off from the cascade from between
the rocks, you can see it on the bottom. There is algae on the rocks
of the cascades.

Both ponds have skimmers/filters.
Mine has an additional home made filter box

I run a Pondmaster Magdrive 3600gph punp
Not sure what they use in the Botanical

Value your thoughts and experience on this issue...

Sue W