Old 06-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Shiva

Default RMV... What do you do after?

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:17:24 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

As far as I know the only real
chance of virus spread is if you
don't sterilize your shears.

NO way, Theo! You are telling me I can spread Rose Mosaic
Virus from my Sonia Rykiel to my other roses if I don't sterilize my
felcos?? Here is where I ask you to cite your source. If this is true
then RMV is a much bigger deal than I thought.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Moyesii
wrote:

I have a climbing angel face that I ordered from Wayside Gardens this
spring. It has been growing well, but now shows clear signs of RMV.
What do you do after you find that one of your roses is virused? Do
you shovel prune or let it live its life out? The problem for me is
that most climbers take at least 3 years to establish and by that
time, I'm not sure what to expect from a virused rose in terms of
vigor and general performance. On the other hand, the plant looks to
be doing fine, and I'd hate to toss it.

Depends on how the plant looks. I have a few that perform, flower and
are reasonably disease resistant. But if it gives me any problems, I
kill them fast.