Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 PM
richard smith

Default Cordyline puzzle

"Eric" wrote in message
A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant (itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Eric

I was given a cordyline "cutting" taken from a much larger plant,the advice
I was given was "just stick it in a pot/the ground and water well"
this is a gonner I thought but how wrong could I be. The plant has grown 50%
in one season.
If you put it in the garden and not a pot make sure it is where you really
want it as they can be hard to get rid of.

Richard