Old 06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Siouxzi

Default tomato wilt woes

Thanks, Lord. I was about to ask how I can possibly plant the plant
into the new mulch only, unless the mulch is like 6-8 inches deep. But
then I saw your answer--plant flat in a trench. cool. I will try that!
I got most of my plants from Craig too. Love 'em! But they caught the
wilt anyway, for the most part... I'll try your method next year,
including the wall-o-waters, as I cannot bear going without a tomato
garden for a year, and I cannot move my garden.

Cheers
Sue
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 06:37:22 -0600, "Tomatolord"
wrote:

ok

you have to plant into the mulch only - dont dig the hole down into the old
soil You cannot plant into the previous soil, because that is where the
diseases are
and
you have to make sure the mulch covers all of the area around the tomato - I
just cover the entire garden, when it does rain the water splashes the soil
onto the plant causing further damage.

This year my plants are healthy as usual (except for the darn deer!!)

I dont think it matters where you get the mulch from the city or a mulch
company.

now for some tomato planting basics.

1 - use the wall o waters - it just gets the plants off to a healthy start
2 - when planting strip off all but the top leaves and bury the plant to
that depth - the exposed stem will grow roots
3 - make sure you have plenty of dolomitic lime as well. 3-4 handfulls in
the hole and 3-4 around the plant after planting
4 - same thing with a time release fertilizer 3-4 in hole, 3-4 around
plant - when you put in the hole, mix with the mulch then plant the plant.

Note - you can trench a tomato instead of digging a hole - if the plant is
tall dig a trench and lay in sideways instead, since the roots are closer to
the top they will be warmer and grow quicker than if planted deep down.

Now that does not mean that your plants did not come with the disease from
the grower,

I get my plants from Craig at the farmer market, or I grow them myself and
dont have the wilt problem.

I gave up growing any wilt resitant varieties becuase they do not taste as
good as the heirlooms - so all of my plants are all heirloom plants.

tomatolord