Old 06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Anne Lurie

Default tomato wilt woes

"Tomatolord" wrote in message
. ..

[remainder snipped]

Note - you can trench a tomato instead of digging a hole - if the plant

is
tall dig a trench and lay in sideways instead, since the roots are closer

the top they will be warmer and grow quicker than if planted deep down.

I have one caveat to add if you "trench" your tomatoes -- Remember that
you did that, so that you don't dig them up if you attempt to do even the
shallowest hand cultivating!!!! It also helps if you plant the tomatoes so
the underground parts are all pointing the same direction away from the main
stem. After I spent most of my time in the garden re-covering the tomato
plants the only year I tried trenching them, now I just plant them "up to
their necks."

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh