Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
mel turner

Default Can someone identify this plant?

In article ,
[Greg Galloway] wrote...
"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message

Greg Galloway schreef
I took this picture on a farm in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica and I have
no idea what the plant is. I don't have a picture of the whole plant,
just this fruit with some leaves. Anyone know it?

http://home.flash.net/~gallo/plant.jpg

+ + +
No. Likely it belongs to the Lauraceae?
PvR

PS: nice picture!

Thanks. I checked all the Lauraceae pics I could find on the net and
have still not identified it. They look really similar though.

Try _Morinda citrifolia_, family Rubiaceae.
If this ID is correct, those are flower buds,
not a fruit. [I think there should eventually
be many more flowers in a head, and much more fusion
of the flowers/fruits:

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b...es/mor_cit.jpg
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/jpg1/m-citri.jpg
http://www.nybg.org/bsci/res/MORINDA.HTML
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...es/mor_cit.jpg
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...lowerFruit.htm
[scroll down]

So, maybe not a perfect match, but perhaps it's close?

I have a few more pics of plants and critters from CR if anyone wants
to see them. Bonus points for identifying the unidentified ones.

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/flower.jpg -- Hymenocallis sp.
[Amaryllidaceae]

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/flower1.jpg -- Aphelandra aurantiaca
[Acanthaceae]

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/flower2.jpg -- Heliconia sp.
[Heliconiaceae]

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/shampoo_ginger.jpg-- Zingiber spectabile
[cultivated; not a CR native] [Zingiberaceae]

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/starfruit.jpg -- Averrhoa carambola
[Oxalidaceae]

http://12.210.157.139/pics/crbio/walking_palm.jpg -- Socratea or
Iriartea sp. [see earlier thread] [Arecaceae]

cheers