Old 06-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Paul Davies

Default Hagen BioLife internal wet/dry filter?

I have 2 Hagen(Fluval) BioLifes in my 100gall planted aquarium, having
replaced a Fluval 403 due to concerns about siphoning ( it can and does
happen!). At first I didn't know where the CO2 was going. I just couldn't
get above 10ppm. At the moment one is running normally and the other is
submerged, effectively deactivating the trickle section. I can get 20ppm
like this. As soon as I can, I'll be replacing these with regular Fluval
internal canister filters.

Paul Davies
"Dave" wrote in message
om...
tose (LeighMo) wrote in message

I was wondering whether anyone was using one of the Hagen Biolife
internal wet/dry filters in their planted tanks?

Is it going to be a CO2-injected tank? Wet/dry filters can dissipate a

lot of
CO2. I also don't like the idea of an internal filter. The Biolife (if

it's
the one I'm thinking of) is huge. Why have a big ugly filter in your

tank,
when you can have it outside and out of sight instead?

I already have a Fluval 204 on my (heavily) planted 29g tank, but I've
developed this paranoia about one of the hoses disconnecting. Silly,
I know. Anyway, for that reason I've been musing about using an
internal filter rather than a canister filter. Also, although I try
to be disciplined about it, I think I'd maintain an internal filter
more frequently than a canister filter. Having to (quick-)disconnect
the hoses increases my afore-mentioned paranoia, and it's a pain to
carry the contraption to the sink, etc.

I had guessed that the Biolife probably wouldn't work out too well
with a CO2-injected tank, but was wondering if any aquaria magicians
here had worked out some kind of wonder with it.

- D.