Old 06-08-2003, 10:26 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Can someone identify this plant?

http://home.flash.net/~gallo/plant.jpg

+ + +
No. Likely it belongs to the Lauraceae?
PvR

PS: nice picture!

======
mel turner schreef
Try _Morinda citrifolia_, family Rubiaceae.
If this ID is correct, those are flower buds,
not a fruit. [I think there should eventually
be many more flowers in a head, and much more fusion
of the flowers/fruits:

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b...es/mor_cit.jpg
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/jpg1/m-citri.jpg
http://www.nybg.org/bsci/res/MORINDA.HTML
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...es/mor_cit.jpg

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...lowerFruit.htm
[scroll down]

So, maybe not a perfect match, but perhaps it's close?

+ + +
I would like to agree, if only because a cultivated species is always more
likely than something local, but I don't believe so. Firstly all those knobs
are approximately the same size and shape, while all the flower buds in
pictures of Morinda citrifolia are always at different stages of
development. Secondly these knobs really don't look like flower buds (OK, I
cannot tell for sure).

I will also admit that the way of clustering is rather unlike most
Lauraceae, this is more reminiscent of Annonaceae (which this is not: the
leaves are opposite), but I would not preclude this occurring. Lauraceae are
irregular as concerns opposite leaves: some do, some don't.

So I will stick to my guess of this being one of the Lauraceae, readily
admitting this is far from sure.
PvR