Old 06-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Jan Flora

Default Using bones for fertilizer?

In article , Christopher Norton
wrote:

Over here we simply cannot do the small scale farming required for "self
sufficency". To get 5 or 6 acres of land we talk in terms of 1/3rd
million UKP min (thats about 1/2 million US$). Many of us would very
much like to have a small holding with veggies, chickens, pigs and a
couple of cows.

Too pricey by far.

I did look at Australia and could aford 120 acre farm with quite a bit
to spare for the cost of my one bed flat/apartment!!!!

Well, that explains a lot to me. A neighbor married a gal from Oxford, England.
She's in what I call her "earth muffin" phase. Grows a *huge* garden and has
a huge flock of laying hens. And she keeps bee hives. They live on 20 or
30 acres.
Victoria told me how much her mom's tiny house in Oxford is worth, and explained
that England is *full* of people. I've heard the same thing from Germans -- that
the reason they love Alaska so much is all the "empty" land up here. Germany has
a village every 5 km, and land is very dear over there, too.

Jan