Old 06-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Shiva

Default RMV... What do you do after?

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:05:36 -0600, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

Here is what Malcolm Manners says about contagiousness of RMV:

"Means of Transmission

RM is believed to be non-contagious in the field, except possibly
through rare natural root grafts. There is no evidence that it ever
spreads naturally in the garden or nursery, or through pollen, seed,
or seedlings (2). Extensive tests also have failed to transfer RM
mechanically (e.g., on pruning tools, grafting knives, etc.) (3). The
only known means for transmitting the disease is by vegetative
propagation. Cuttings rooted from infected plants, or budded plants
produced from infected scions or rootstocks, will be infected in
virtually every case. The disease is systemic, so the entire plant is
infected, whether or not all of the branches show symptoms. A plant
which is infected at the time of propagation will remain infected
throughout its life, and a healthy plant at the time of propagation
should remain healthy for its entire life, unless an infected scion is
budded or grafted onto it."

Thanks for the link, Anne. I guess I am safe keeping my Sonia Rykiel.
tim, where do you get this stuff?