Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Pete

Default Transparent hedge in winter

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Pete at junk

wrote
on 6/8/03 9:37 pm:

snip
We have a restriction from building fences or walls so I was wondering

if
there are other alternatives such as growing an evergreen climber such

as
ivy to climb through and over so the evergreen climber provides the

screen
in the winter? Will this tend to smother and kill off the hedge or is

it
feasible?

any ideas

Where do you live? In some parts of the country you can grow evergreen
hedging plants such as Escallonia. That grows fast, flowers and will give
good screening. So does Griselinia. Beech can grow to 8 or 9 feet and
retain its dead leaves in winter, giving a screen. (above that it will

lose
its leaves) Some Eucalyptus can be used as evergreen hedging but you'd

need
to choose the right ones.

We live in Ipswich, Suffolk so milder than some parts of the country.
Also need to add that the hedge is right next to a public footpath so I need
to avoid big roots that will cause problems (the previous owner planted
another section of hedge we have - conifers which have caused lifting and
cracking of the tarmac pavement).

I didn't really want to go to huge effort to dig up the old hedge and
prepare etc. but if it is my only option then I will go for it this winter.
Escallonia sounds good if I'm going to go to the effort - I like the idea of
flowers as well in the summer

Pete

--

Sacha