Old 07-08-2003, 03:32 AM
isabela

Default New Gardener!

---- The above has the good basics. I'll add that you would do well
to know what garden zone you are in. Also look around the homes in the
area and see what
is growing there at different times of the year. Just because wal-mart
sells
it, doesn't mean it will grow in your zone. E-bay has some great plant
buys,
and I've not been ripped off by a plant person yet! Start as you can.
Most
things can be moved later, if a 'plan' comes to mind. Don't hesitate
to try
your hand at cuttings. It's a great way to get plants that are hard to
find.
Get involved in plant trades, and if you admire a plant you see in a
yard,
ask the owner for a root or cutting. Most will feel flattered and
happy to
share. I doubt that any would yell at you for asking. There are some
great
garden forums on the web, (like this one where people will gladly
help
with problems. Above all, Enjoy!!

Thanks, everyone for the advice! How does one get into 'plant
trades'?
Are there any sites that you would recommend on cuttings or rooting?
I did
see on another post about some of the plants that are easy to take
cuttings
from....i have done this alot on some of my indoor plants and to my
surprise
i was successful at it. Is there a good time or bad time of the
year to
take cuttings?

isabela