Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Chris

Default How many to plant, how long to establish?

Bri wrote in message ...
For digging, I've heard that a 90 pound jack hammer with a wide blade
works well.

Having had to do this with an Ash tree... I wouldn't recommend it, it
is hard and painful, and this was doing it the "easy" way. With a
jackhammer you have to keep pulling it back up out of the dirt... it
hurts. The gadd (wide blade/asphalt blade) adds another 20 lbs.

I would use a sharpshooter or a nice new/sharp trenching shovel to
break through the rhizomes.

Also I killed some vivax by putting on too much ammonia
nitrate once, I thought it would be good fertilizer but it killed it
very quickly.

I used Ammonium Nitrate on my B. Oldhamii, lots of it and within
minutes the grass in between turned yellow :-) the bamboo was happy
as can be.

Runners don't seem to like the "hotter" fertilizers like the clumpers.

Chris
Chino, CA