Old 07-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Theo van Daele

Default Morning horror

The possible caveat with that is - as I sadly know from experience - if the
spilled water flows back *under* the liner (if you work with a liner) it
pushes the liner up which pushes the water up to reach the pump, flows back
under the liner... you get the idea I completely drained (no water left
at all , maybe 50 gallon) a 6000 gallon pond in about 7 hours ...

I was just lucky to have this happen before I put my fish back into the
pond.

I now have the pump 40 cm from the bottom, but with a very large rock (yes,
I know) underneath so that if the same ever happens again, the liner will
not just float on top but will be kept down (a bit).

I am currently looking for a switch that should stop the pumps when water
level drops say 15 inches.

Theo

"RichToyBox" schreef in bericht
et...
Set the pump on a bucket, block or chimney flue to keep it off the bottom

of
the pond. If you can, make a plumbing connection to the pump that goes to
the bottom with pipe for the pickup to act as a bottom drain, but put a

hole
in the pipe near the pump. When the water falls lower than the hole, the
pump will start pumping air, and the fish will still have an adequate

amount
of water to swim in.
--
RichToyBox

"FBCS" wrote in message
I awoke this morning and as every morning I went outside for a quick

trip
the pond to feed the fish while coffee is making. To my horror not the

usual
nice sounds of water running down the falls, but the gurgling of a

submersed
pump in an just about empty pond. Fortunately there was about 3" of

water
left for the fish. I filled it back up and the fish are doing fine. Even
with all this new water I still have murky water.

Last night we had tornado warnings resulting in bad lightening and rain
storm. Filter material I placed in the falls to clean some of the

smaller
particles got turned around and caused the falls to run over.

What is really weird is I have dreams like this. I come out, the pond

empty
.... or fish laying outside the pond.... or all floating. I think I read

many rec mails. Anyone want to analyze this. Joann