Old 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Freshly received flasks

Christmas eve yesterday. A bit early, but hey. First time ever I am
trying to grow orchids from flasks. The paperwork wasn't that awful
either.

I got four flasks, containing
- ascocentrum miniatum - 25mm high foilage
- neofinetia falcata - 20mm foilage
- polyrrhiza lindenii - 15-20mm long roots, either side of "hub".
- angraecum sesquipedale - 15mm foilage

The gel in each flask is clear with black dots in the bottom of the
flask (is this some kind of fungus?). The ascocentrum is touching the
top of the flask, the others have room to grow some more. The flasks
were a bit shaken up, but I mostly managed to sort them out.

I guess opening the flasks is a big nono because the environment will
become polluted by fungus spores?

Right now, they are sitting at 25C. The ascocentrum is getting 10klux,
the others get 5klux from 6am to 10pm. The ghost orchid flask has a
couple of rotten roots and some black gunk on the surface of the gel,
the other flasks are nicely green all over, but with some dead, yellow
leaves.

I can provide anything up to 50klux of (artificial) light.

My flat has 22C night/28C daytime high at 35-50% humidity right
now. My winter climate is 18C/22C at 45-60%.

How long do I want to keep the flasks as they are to acclimatize them,
and what do I do afterwards? Is it a problem that there is dead
material in there?

I guess seedlings are very sensitive to low humidity. I had planned on
buying a seedling tray with a transparent plastic cover when I deflask
them. Is this a good idea? The roots have grown in gel media. How do I
acclimatize them to a new environment (moss/bark) without killing off
the seedling? How much root loss will there be?

I had planned on putting the angraecum and polyrrhiza in the
bathroom. How much light do these plants want (need to put in a timer
and a light, want to get the right size first time around)?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Geir