Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Malcolm

Default Late butterflys

In article , Mike
writes
In article , Malcolm
writes

There's plenty of time for these
to pupate and then hatch into butterflies in time for them to
over-winter and round we go again.

Is there any way to produce a 'suitable' place for them to overwinter?
And do they just 'sit there' wings folded and ziz for the winter? And,
why don't the spiders take them for 'big eats' over the winter?
(Thinking of those I see trying to get out of the garage and flapping
away at the glass)

Small tortoiseshells want to hibernate in the dark and cool, but
preferably not too damp. And yes, they just sit there, with their
metabolism slowed right down and 'ziz'. They often choose buildings, but
it is much better if you can provide them with a garden shed or garage
to do this, with open access during the autumn they want to go in and in
spring when they want to emerge, and actively discourage them from
coming into the house, where all too often the heating wakes them far
too early in the spring. If I find them in the house, I transfer them to
the garage whenever possible. I also check the garage windows in spring
in case some have failed to find the always open door. I'm sure spiders
get some, but more usually the ones flapping around than the ones
hibernating.

--
Malcolm