Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Disappointing garden report

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:05:11 -0400, Mary McHugh
wrote:

The only high spot is that it looks like I'll shortly be inundated with
tomatoes. I've already picked a few and they did NOT disappoint. :-)
Though, with all the rain we're having (northeast), they're all
threatening to split.

To date (in Pennsylvania's chilly Northern Tier) we've had
five ripe tomatoes from outdoor plants (6 plants). The
miniature Red Robins growing indoors (in a big bay window)
continue to thrive and produce enough cherry tomatoes to add
to one serving of salad per day, sometimes two.

The cukes are not getting pollinated completely. I have not one
eggplant despite blossoms. The only peppers I have are the lilacs and
the one California Wonder bell that I bought fully grown. The Thai hot
chiles are producing and the basil looks great.

I planted cukes very late (I was sick) and I think they were
permanently stunted from having been in their little 6-packs
so long. I don't think we'll get cukes at all this year.

We picked two green peppers (from purchased seedlings,
variety unknown) yesterday. They weren't terribly large,
but I needed two green peppers for the dinner we were
having.

The zukes are stunted, yellow squash is rallying. No pumpkins at all.

I'm getting tons of zukes, tons of yellows squash (from one
plant each). The white pattypan squash just started
flowering this week.

Next year, I'm just hoping for semi-normal weather.

Wouldn't THAT be nice. I'm hoping the same thing, plus
hoping I don't again have an illness that keeps me out of
the garden for all of June and half of July.

Pat