Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Disappointing garden report

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:38:01 -0800, (Jan
Flora) wrote:

Wow, weird. We could have grown corn up here this year. We had a really
early spring and have had hot, dry weather all summer. It's normally rainy
here in July & August, when we're haying. We just finished our hay (200 acres)
and have moved over to the neighbors to do her 80 acres, and haven't had
*any* rain since we started. Weird weather, indeed!

(Northern PA) We had a cold, cold, wet, wet, wet spring.
Then one week of hot weather (first week in July). Since
then it's been quite cool (highs mostly in the 70s, some low
80s) and very rainy. I don't think our temperature has been
over 85 since that first week in July, and rarely that high.

And it sure has rained - almost daily. It did rain EVERY
DAY FOR MORE THAN SIX WEEKS IN THE SPRING. Yuck.

Between the strange weather, and the fact we were building
and filling raised beds (a LOT of work), and the fact that I
was unable to garden at all throughout June and half of July
(and still cannot do very much - bursitis of the hip joint
plus back problems) --- anyway, this is NOT a good year for
my garden! Phooey.

Nevertheless, in SPITE of all this, we've had/are still
having:

* various lettuces
* chard
* Asian greens (hon tsai tai, choy sum, bok choy, mizuna,
mibuna, Vitaminna, shungiku)
* basil (doing very well)
* other herbs: chives, flat leaf parsley, curly parsley,
sage, thyme, and oregano. Also sorrell and burnet.
* beets
* tomatoes (few - hopefully more eventually)
* peppers (just starting)
* lots of zucchini
* lots of yellow crookneck squash
* broccoli (a little - didn't plant much)

None yet, but hopefully later: eggplant and pattypan squash

I'm planting - if I ever get to it - seeds for kale, mache,
lettuce and chard for fall crops, also some of the
fast-growing Asian greens.

Pat