Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 PM
shannie

Default Fat Balls

"JennyC" wrote in message

"... basically, you need bird-type food - dried fruit, oats, tiny

bits of
bacon, remains of grated cheese, then you melt some suet to glue it

all
together. Exact proportions aren't important ....."

Can you also use those blocks of white fat meant for frying ??
Jenny

Yes, Jenny, it's what I've been using for years and have lots of birds in
the garden at the fat balls all winter long with no ill-effects whatever.
The cheaper the fat the better. I did notice at one point last year that the
magpie's and crows were having a greed-fest on them when I hung them in the
trees so I put a cuphooks in the eves above the kitchen window (Im in a
bungalow) and the small birds had no probs getting at them but the bigger
birds stayed away

HTH
Shannie