Old 07-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Heidi

Default making mini greenhouse

HI all,

I am considering making (er...commissioning my husband to make) a mini
greenhouse. I would like a small home to nuture cuttings outside,
without having to invest in special lights, heating units, etc...
Here is my general plan for the greenhouse, can anyone comment if they
see anything wrong with this:

I am thinking of designing a small box, roughly 3 feet wide and long (I
want to start out small).
I'm thinking it should be 2 feet deep (Is this enough???)
The sides of the house will be made of wood, the top/roof will
(ideally) be glass or thick clear plastic (if we can't find cheap enough
glass) fitted into a wood frame.
The bottom will be wood, maybe lined with one of those rubber web
looking doormats for better drainage.
I have seen some mini greenhouses that have a slanted roof--is this to
conduct sun/heat or could I go with a flat roof?
If I use a wood greenhouse w/ glass or plastic roof, could it be used
year round? Would I have to propagate early spring? Would I need any
additional heating if the temps dropped, and at what temp would I need this?
Will wood sides make a difference if I keep the plants in the center,
not too close to the siding that they are shielded from light?

Thanks for any input you all have!
Heidi
Raleigh, NC.
US