Old 07-08-2003, 02:22 PM
SugarChile

Default What's eating Mom's tomatoes??

Don't be too surprised if you don't find any....like a lot of insects, they
have a relatively short time frame where they are larvae (reduces the risk
of being eaten). If you spotted some a few weeks ago, the others (if there
were others) may well have finished eating and dropped to the ground to
pupate undetected. They turn into really cool looking moths.

I know that others have different experiences with hornworms, but I've only
ever seen a few each season. Maybe I have particularly diligent birds 8-).

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Mike Stevenson" wrote in message
OMG I've been finding the "frass" on my pepper plants wondering what the
hell it is. Now I know...I found one of these caterpillers a few weeks ago
on one of my tomatoes and smooshed him, but haven't seen any since then.

I'm
gonna get my butt dressed and go 'piller huntin...