Old 07-08-2003, 03:23 PM
john rutz

Default Will bamboo penetrate pond linders?

Chris Herring wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message

jskirwin wrote:

Sorry, I am diverting off-topic here..

This sounds like an interesting idea. I would like to plant bamboo next to a
fence, and I have been wondering about the best way to contain it. Did you
consider the possibility that the sheet metal might rust away? If I
understand you correctly, you essentially made an in-ground "planter" for
the bamboo.. sides and bottom of the trench are sheet metal. What about
drainage (apparently not a problem as your bamboo seems happy)?

One of my big concerns is that there is a large oak tree near the fence. I
don't want to disturb the roots of the oak by digging a trench.. now I am
wondering about building a planter above ground, and lining it with perhaps
sheet metal..

Chris

-- if worried about metal bariers rusting away check w a plastics
retailer/wholesaler for heavy flexible PVC sheet

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at: