Old 07-08-2003, 03:42 PM
FDR

Default domestic dischord about importance of weeding

I tried cedar mulch on top of newspaper for the first time this year. In
previous years I just used cedar mulch. The newspaper worked out great. No
weed problems where it was laid.

"Guppy21014" wrote in message
My roommate says weeding is not a requirement of a good garden. I on the

other
hand can't find the plants due to the very healthy weeds surrounding

everything
else. I am not much of a gardener (but I am the designated harvester) and

thought I would check out my possible incorrect thoughts about weeds. 1)
Weeds take needed rain away from the vegetble plants. 2) Weeds will

steal the
nutriants in the soil away from the vegetable plants. 3) Just mowing

between
the rows does not benefit the vegetble plants as much as pulling the

weeds. 4)
Mulching with newspaper or something like that would be beneficial.

Anyway
any opinions regarding the Zen of weeding your vegetable garden would be
appreciated. TIA