Old 07-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Tim Arheit

Default Perfumes provoke hornets and wasps to attack?

On 7 Aug 2003 00:42:49 -0700, (Wilson da Silva) wrote:

Thought the following item might be of interest to the list ...

Perfumes stir up a hornet's nest

Wasps may be provoked into a frenzy of attack by chemicals sometimes
found in perfumes and food, warn Japanese scientists.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s919335.htm

Wasps may be provoked into a frenzy of attack by chemicals sometimes
found in perfumes and food, warn Japanese scientists.

Nothing surprising there. This has been know for many, many years.
I my house we use unsented shampoo, hairspray, etc. My wife has
noticed a big difference how they react to her long hair.

Isolating the specific chemicals that cause the alarm may be of some
use to companies if they wish to develop perfumes that cause less of
a problem. (On the other hand it could be evidence to sue a
manufacturer because their product caused a hornet/wasp/bee attack)

-Tim